I often hear people say they would like more family friendly veggie recipes, so I thought I would share one of our favourites. We cooked this Jamie Oliver recipe at one of our Oken’s Kitchens cooking socials and it has been a regular on our menu ever since. It is popular and easy dish to share with friends and family. If you prefer to go gluten and dairy free, use corn tortillas, with or without vegan cheese, or the bean mix is a taste sensation in itself and can easily make a baked sweet potato topping without the cheese.
1 red pepper (diced & roasted for 20 minutes in a preheat oven)
4 tbsps sweetcorn
1 tbsp olive oil
1 x 400g black beans (drained and rinsed)
½ tsp ground cumin
4 spring onions
1 fresh red chilli
1 bunch of fresh coriander , (30g)
2 cloves of garlic
1 x 400g plum tomatoes
8 small wheat or corn tortillas
70 g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
40 g feta cheese, diced
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium frying pan over a medium heat. Drain and add the black beans, stir in the cumin and fry for 4 to 5 minutes, or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove to a bowl.
- Once cooled, add the sweetcorn, and choppped the peppers
- Trim, finely slice and add the spring onions. Deseed, finely slice and add the chilli. Pick and add most of the coriander leaves, reserving the stalks.
- Squeeze in the lime juice and season well with sea salt and black pepper.
- Wipe out the pan, and over a medium heat add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Peel and finely slice the garlic and finely slice the coriander stalks, then add to the pan for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes and bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes, or until thickened and reduced.
- Season to taste, carefully transfer to a liquidiser and blitz until smooth
- Divide the vegetable mixture between 8 corn tortillas and roll them up in a large oven proof dish.
- Pour over the tomato sauce, sprinkle over the grated cheese and feta.
- Bake in the hot oven for 15-20 minutes, or until bubbling and golden.
I am planning to share more recipes again, so please check back in soon.
Alternatively, why not come and join us at one of our monthly events at Oken’s Kitchen. Please click on the link for the this week’s Supper Club